“A good cook knows that it's not what's on the table that matters, it's who is in the chairs.”

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Strawberry jam

4 lbs of Strawberries
2 c sugar
1/4 c lemon juice

Throw strawberries in blender and smash to your desired consistancy.  In a heavy bottomed saucepan, mix together the strawberries, sugar, and lemon juice. Stir over low heat until the sugar is dissolved. Increase heat to high, and bring the mixture to a full rolling boil. Boil, stirring often, until the mixture reaches 220 degrees F (105 degrees C). Transfer to hot sterile jars, leaving 1/4 to 1/2 inch headspace, and seal. Process any unsealed jars in a water bath. If the jam is going to be eaten right away, don't bother with processing, and just refrigerate. (or buy Ball freezer jars like I did and dump cooled jam into them and freeze)

I adapted this recipe from Kelly.  I reduced the sugar (by using twice as many strawberries).

Please note... I'm not a whiz or amazing... I'm just annoyed that strawberry jam & strawberry preserves are filled with a lot of stuff that is not natural.  That's just me.  And Meijer happen to have 1 lb of strawberries for $1.

No comments:

Post a Comment